Here are some tips to ensure safe use of your medication:
- Educate yourself and your child about the dangers of prescription medication
- Set clear rules and monitor behavior
- Lock your medication
- Take inventory
- Properly dispose of old and unused medications in a Big Red Barrel. The Big Red Barrels are permanent prescription drug collection units found throughout Livingston County and the State of Michigan that collect all unused and unwanted prescription medication.
- Pass information along to your friends
What to do if your child already has a problem:
- If you suspect your teen is using drugs, do not wait to do something about it. Visit the local resources section of this website for a list of Livingston and Washtenaw County substance abuse treatment providers.
- Visit the Livingston County Community Alliance’s YouTube channel which helps guide Livingston County parents on how to find help for their child
- You can also visit the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) at www.findtreatment.samhsa.gov for a listing of treatment centers in your area. You can also call their toll-free number (800) 662-HELP.